About Anita Hummel
Over the past 30 years, I’ve journeyed and lived as an ex-pat in various parts of Asia, including China, Vietnam, Thailand, and Hong Kong.
But my appetite for travel was whetted long before these adventures. My initial foray into overseas living came as a foreign exchange student in Sundsvall, Sweden during my high school years.
During college, I backpacked across Europe one summer and spent another summer teaching English in Taiwan.
These experiences have been instrumental in cultivating my passion for Family History and history.
Fun Facts About Anita Hummel
- Graduated from Brigham Young University in International Relations.
- Has an MMLCBLA which is a lot of letters for a Master’s in Law, Chinese Business Law (Open University of Hong Kong)
- Co-authored a book.
- Guest speaker at various university and MBA programs.
- Anita can be seen most days riding her Honda scooter around Hanoi.
- Founded Project Sprouts, a grassroots charity organization that helps impoverished schools and students in North Vietnam.
- Lived in Sundsvall, Sweden, during part of High School.
- Spent one summer backpacking Europe.
- Spent another summer backpacking in China.
- Taught English in Taiwan for a summer.
- Anita does a morning master’s fitness swim class but is still not a very good swimmer; she has to wear fins to keep up with the other swimmers.
- Has an MSc, Master in Strategic Planning from Edinburgh Business School (Scotland)
- Is a Doctorate Candidate in Strategic Planning.
- Loves a life of travel and adventure
- Has been an ex-pat for over 30 years.
- I rode a camel and discovered it is not as comfortable as it looks in the movies.
- Has studied Chinese, Vietnamese and Swedish; knows enough in each language to get around and get in trouble.
- An artist who loves to paint funky pictures of dogs, cats, and women of culture.
- Spends many Saturday mornings cycling with friends around the countryside of Vietnam.
- Has cycled Ragbrai, the annual bicycle ride through the USA state of Iowa, and discovered Iowa is not flat.
- I cycled between BYU from BYU Provo, Utah, to BYU Idaho and learned it was a crazy thing to do.
- Loves any good BBC murder mystery.
- Is a News Junkie.
- Loves YouTube.
- Anita took flying lessons in Hong Kong.
- Is a Foodie who loves good and exciting food.
- Comes from a family of six girls and a home with one bathroom.
- I love to sail and am a sailor with Milwaukee Community Sailing Center.
- Loves Family History.
Publications, Speaking, News, Etc.
“Starting & Operating a Business in Thailand,” by Anita Louise Hummel and coauthored with Pise Sethsathira, a Law Professor and Legal Advisor to the Thai Government. Published and Printed by McGraw – Hill Book Co – Singapore, 1991.
“Crafting a Life in Asia,” an article written about Anita Hummel for the Bridges Alumni Magazine, Volume 2012, Issue 2, a publication of the David M Kennedy Center for International Relations, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
Anita Louise Hummel, “Vì giáo dục, ai cũng có thề làm việc nghĩa!, an article written about Anita Hummel and her charity work with Project Sprouts. Publication of Giáo Duc Thời Đại, a national Vietnamese newspaper about education, November 30, 2020.
Anita Hummel Speaking Assignments and International Workshops:
- Seoul, Korea – May 2017, BYU Management Society Asia Pacific Annual Conference – Workshop on Entrepreneurship/Women in Business.
- Hong Kong – May 2018, BYU Management Society Asia Pacific Annual Conference – Workshop on Entrepreneurship/Women in Business.
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia – May 2019, BYU Management Society Asia Pacific Annual Conference – Workshop on Entrepreneurship.
- Provo, Utah – October 2019, BYU Management Society Annual Conference – Workshop on Building International Chapters.
Anita Hummel has also been a featured speaker for Brigham Young University Marriott School, the University of Las Vegas, and SCUT (The Southern China University of Technology).