When researching your family history, it can be unclear to know the difference between your ancestors and forefathers. These two words are used a lot interchangeably.
An ancestor is someone you are remotely related to as a great grandparent; your parents or grandparents are not your ancestors, but they are your relatives. An ancestor can also be a forefather, but a forefather is also someone who has founded or significantly influenced a nation, religion, or movement.
What Is An Ancestor?
When researching your family history, the word ancestor is something you will come across or think about. `This is because when you are doing your family history research, it is all about finding your ancestors.
The definition of an ancestor is:
This is where it can start to become a bit confusing. An ancestor is someone you are descended from but usually a more remote descendant than your grandparents.
The Term Ancestor Explained
An ancestor can be explained as:
- Someone you are descended from – Someone who is older than you such as your great grandparents.
- Someone who lived before you – An ancestor is someone who lived before you and someone that you did not personally know such as your great grandparents.
- Usually great grandparents – A grandparent or parent is usaully referred to as a relative and an ancestor are those relatives who after your grandfathers such as a great great great grandfather.
This means that technically your parents or grandparents are not your ancestors; instead, they are your relatives. Your ancestors are those who have gone before you, such as your great-grandfathers.
Types and KInds of Ancestors
Here are some types and kinds of ancestors:
- great grandmother
- great grandfather
- great great grandmother
- great great grandfather
The key to these kinds of relationships is that they are people that you are directly descended from. In other words, people whose blood you have running through your veins.
If you are adopted, then the family who adopted you is now your family. So are you now part of their family tree, and your adopted parent’s ancestors are your ancestors.
Some people who are adopted choose to have two family trees. One is the family tree they were adopted into. The other is a genetic tree or the tree they are genetically linked to.
What Is A Forefather?
A forefather may seem similar to an ancestor, but they are not the same thing. Forefather is a term that is used far more broadly than an ancestor. For example, someone may talk about the forefather of a nation or even the forefather of rock-n-roll.
The definition of forefather is defined as:
This means that a forefather can also be an ancestor. But the forefathers can also be someone who is not related to someone who lived in the past.
The Term Forefather Explained
A forefather can be explained as:
- An ancestor – your forefather can also be your ancestor and your ancestor can be your forefather.
- Forefather of nation – A forefather can also be a founder of a nation. For example President George Washington is the forefather of America.
- Forefather of religion – A forefather can also be someone who lived in the past and started a relligious movement. For example, Martin Luther was the forefather for the Lutheran chruch.
The word forefather is also usually used for other things besides a nation or religion. For example, it could be said that someone was a forefather to rock ‘n’ roll.
But generally, forefathers are about someone who lived in the past of significance either for your family or a nation or religion.
Types and KInds of Forefathers
Here are some types and ways that the word forefather is used:
- Forefather as ancestors – Your ancestors can all be your forefathers such as your great grandparents.
- Forefather of nation – A forefather can be someone who founded a nation or national movement.
- Forefather of religion – A forefather can also be someone who founded a religious movement.
- Forefather of a movement – A forefather can be someone who also founded a significant movement.
The key thing to remember about a forefather is that a forefather can be someone who is not related to you. But a forefather is usually someone who has done something significant as founded the nation you live in or a religion.
Difference Between An Ancestor And A Forefather
The difference between an ancestor and a forefather is that an ancestor is directly related to you through blood or adoption. An ancestor is someone who is more remotely removed from you, such as your great-grandparents.
On the other hand, a forefather can also be an ancestor. This means that your great-grandparents could also be considered your forefathers. But the term forefather is also broadly used to signify someone who has founded a nation, religious group or any other significant movement.
When speaking of your ancestors, it is only about people you are related to on your family tree. When you are speaking about your forefathers, it could mean people you are related to or not related to. A forefather is usually someone who has had a significant impact on your life.
What Are The Swedish Mantal Tax Records?
The Swedish Mantal tax system was the tax system prevalent in Sweden for over 300 years. The Mantal tax was a tax placed upon Swedish households and people. The Mantal tax system was organized and structured.
You can learn more by reading our blog What Are The Swedish Mantal Tax Records? History & Genealogy Research Tips by clicking here.
What Is The Purpose of Genealogy?
The purpose of genealogy is to study family, family history, and the tracing of our lineage or our ancestors. The purpose of genealogy goes far beyond the dates, names, and places of our ancestors. This is because as you do your genealogy, you begin to learn more about your family and yourself. Genealogy helps to unite and link families together as you discover things about your family that you did not know.